Saturday, November 26, 2016

Getting ready for winter

While I was visiting family in Pennsylvania, John & Josh worked on the greenhouse.  It's now ready for the plants.  I spent about half an hour yesterday getting them all inside.  I will be doing some more work on the interior... putting some rocks around the perimeter too keep out little rodents, putting in some 5 gallon buckets full of water to help raise the humidity & act as a heat mass, starting any seeds we want to grow over the winter (tomato & bell pepper come to mind).
The greenhouse.  The door is on the left, out of the picture.

The roof is really interesting.  This plastic is very strong.


I also got the chicken enclosure covered in plastic.  It's getting down to around freezing at night now, and the highs will only be in the mid 50's.  I've been covering the chickens for a few winters now, and I haven't had damage on their combs or feet.  This is a great improvement.

What the cages looked like after an ice storm last winter.
Frozen chicken is great in the freezer, not in the chicken house.

We've stayed close to home the past few days.  The stores are always crazy the week of Thanksgiving.  First, all those folks are in the grocery store buying all the items they need for the annual feast.  Then, BLACK FRIDAY...  I've never been shopping on Black Friday.  I don't understand waiting in line, in the cold, pushing & shoving & fighting.  Just plain crazy , in my humble opinion.

I did some baking in the past few days. Two pumpkin pies & a peach "dump cake".  The guys have been eating well!  We had ham & potatoes au gratin for our Thanksgiving meal.  Very tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment