Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Another cold morning





Rusty
When it's really cold like this, my biggest concern is keeping my critters warm.  I don't want to let the dog or cat out too long.  I know they're covered with fur, but they can suffer frost bit too.  I may baby them too much, but I love them and want them to be safe.  Besides, who could leave these cuties out in the cold???

Peanut






I know Peanut would like to be outside chasing squirrels and chipmunks.  But she can wait until it's not 21F outside.


But, my real concern is for my birds.  You see, I have my birds in large runs.  I'd love to let them be free range.  I let the guinea fowl outside when the weather's nice.  But, we have all kinds of creatures here that would LOVE to eat bird for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Here's a sample of the woodland creatures we've seen here at Big Rock Farm.
Opossum
Racoon

These 2 are the biggest chicken theives.  We know they eat eggs & chicks.  We haven't caught them eating adult large birds, we're sure they've had some bantam for dinner.  

But, they're not the biggest killer of chicks or the main egg eater.  Here's the culprit  for that!  Black snakes have eaten my chicks several times.  They have also killed 2 different bantam hens and eaten all their chicks.  Around here, I have to keep chicks in a brooder on the back porch or they don't survive.  I can't put them out IN A CAGE OFF THE GROUND until there are more than a month old.  And even then, they might be snake food.
Black Snake



I do NOT kill snakes just because they're snakes.  But, if I find a black snake in my chicken cage, it's lunch.  Literally.


Who else has come looking for an easy meal??


Stripped skunk

Did you know that skunk blood stinks?  In fact, our porch by the workshop STILL stinks of skunk whenever it rains.  And it's been 2 years since Mr/Mrs Skunk came to visit.

We've also lost guinea and chicken to the pair of hawks that are nesting right here.  Peanut saw a hawk get a young chicken.  Now, she hates anything that flys over head.  She'll chase it across the yard.  Of course, anything flying over the yard results in guinea chaos!  And then the chickens start yelling too.

Hawk


It's illegal to shoot a predatory bird in Arkansas.  So, we keep our chickens in a cage.  It's a nice, large cage.  But it's still a cage.

We feel safe letting the guinea out.  Our flock has 9 members.  4 pair and 1 poor unmated hen.  We call her Number 9.  She's an unhappy girl.  We'll raise some more babies this year, and we hope Number 9 can find a boyfriend out of them.

We started out with 3 pair last year.  Here's a picture of some of them.

Curly Joe, Bruce and Dennis with keets.


My favorite bird is Curly Joe, he's the lavender one in the foreground. We raised him from an egg.  We had 5 birds that first year.  All got killed except Curly Joe.  Moe and Larry each disappeared over night...  The girls got old enough to start laying, but they both failed to show up to roost one night just leaving us with the bachelors.  Then Moe and Larry each got eaten, leaving poor Curly Joe by himself.  So, we invested in Bruce and Dennis.  And we got some young keets from a nice lady down the road, and got some hens.   Now Curly Joe has his mate, Vera.  And Bruce has his Babette.  Dennis got eaten last fall....


And who can eat a full grown guinea at night???  I'll show you.
Coyote

 There are coyotes in the woods here.  They will even sneak in during the day and take the guinea hens right off their nests.  So, that's why we have to keep them locked up when they're laying.  Otherwise they don't come home.









Barred Owl

And the owls can pick the guineas right out of a tree when they're roosting.  So, the guinea have to be locked up at night.

And whoooooo else comes to visit at night?  (Sorry I couldn't resist that pun!)  We have pictures of these from our trail cam.

Grey fox


We've not seen a fox anywhere near the house.  But the trail cam was in the trees by the "pasture" which was about 200 yards from the house.  That's pretty close if you ask me.

Who else comes to eat  birds?  These sneaky buggers come in day or night!  And they LOVE to eat birds, any birds.
Norway rat










I suppose I'm partly to blame.  What else to rats like to eat besides birds?  Why bird food, of course!  And so, leaving any food around in the open is an invitation to dinner in the rat's opinion.

I guess that ends my conversation on local predators for this morning.  We have many other critters around that don't ever bother our birds.  I'll talk about them some other day.




No comments:

Post a Comment