Sunday, January 27, 2013

Late winter flowers

The weather here has been on a bit of a see-saw.  Cold, warm, cold, warm.  One day we had a high of 31.  The next day it was 51!  That confuses the birds and the bees.  And the flowers. 

Our daffodils and hellebores are peaking through the mulch.  I haven't had a chance to take pictures yet this year, but here's what they looked like last year....

Helebore by the den window
I love the color of this hellebore.  I hadn't ever grown any before.  But I planted them in 2011, and here's what they looked like that first early spring.








Daffodils by the west door


This hellebore is right next to the purple one.  The 2 colors really compliment each other.  I'm really happy with the way these plants have thrived.






All the daffodils around our house have been transplanted and redistributed from those that were here when we bought the house.  We have several different colors, some doubles and even some that are very tiny white and yellow.




Tiny white and yellow daffodil



I love this little flower.  I've been looking for a small figurine of a fairy that I can hide in beside it.







Tiny double daffodil


These found these tiny flowers in this spot when we started cleaning up that first spring (2006).  I love the way they're placed in amongst the rocks.  It's very picturesque.  It makes me smile.







Trillium 



This trillium is also a new flower to me.  I saw some in a catalog and thought I'd try them.  I really like the soft purple color...  Can you tell I like purple?





Back in 2010, I decided to handquilt a square as part of the Parkinson's Disease Foundation's (PDF) Awareness Quilt that was to be displayed in Scotland in that fall.  So, I sorted through my fabric stash and selected all my batik fabrics.  The background is a lovely sky blue.

My Parkinson's Awareness block



I cut each petal and leaf separately, then used matching embroidery floss to stitch it down with a blanket stitch.  I didn't have an exact design or layout in mind when I started.  I just let each piece of fabric "talk" to me and tell me where to place it.  It was a great project and I really enjoyed doing it.
Here's a picture of the work in progress.  See it there behind my leg??






And here's what the quilt looked like on display.




I was honored by PDF, and was featured in their 2012 calendar and their Parkinson's Creativity project.  Here's the PSA (public service announcement) they provided on the subject:


Williford Resident’s Artwork Selected for Parkinson’s Charity Calendar
 
New York, NY, December 13, 2011 — Williford, AR resident Penny Teem is one of 13 artists whose work was selected to appear in the Parkinson’s Disease Foundation’s (PDF) 2012 Creativity and Parkinson’s calendar. Her quilt panel entitled, “Flowers of the Field” is featured in the month of April, which also is recognized as Parkinson’s Awareness Month.

Ms. Teem, a Navy veteran, was diagnosed with Parkinson’s seven years ago. She has been creative since a young age; she began sewing and knitting at the age of nine. In recent years, she began creating quilts using applique, a technique of using smaller pieces of a fabric to create a design on a larger background. Ms. Teem says she that when she is quilting and keeping her hands moving, her Parkinson’s tremors seem to stay under better control.

PDF’s Creativity and Parkinson’s Project exists to explore, support and encourage the therapeutic value of creativity in Parkinson's. So when Ms. Teem she heard that the project was creating awareness quilt for Parkinson’s, she was eager to contribute her talents.

Her quilt panel was chosen from 600 others to be featured in PDF’s annual print calendar, which is distributed nationwide to nearly 20,000 people.

Ms. Teem said of her experience with creativity, “In a way, being diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease was a blessing. It changed my life for the better because it gave me the life I wanted. If my hands are going to move, I wanted to focus them in a positive direction and do something creative with them. The saying ‘Flowers in the Field’ inspired me to create this quilt. Many of us have Parkinson’s but the disease is different for each person. Like a flower we are similar but we are all unique.”

Robin Elliott, Executive Director of PDF, said “We thank Ms. Teem for her contributions to the Creativity and Parkinson’s Project and applaud her for having her artwork selected for the 2012 calendar. Her works, those of the 13 other individuals featured in calendar and the more than 270 in the online gallery, have inspired those affected by Parkinson’s who come to PDF looking not only for information, but also for hope. At PDF, we are hopeful that by creating for Ms. Teem works and those of other people living with Parkinson’s; we can begin a conversation about the reports of beneficial effects of creativity.”

Those interested in learning more about Ms. Teem’s artwork may contact the Parkinson’s Disease Foundation by calling (800) 457-6676, emailing info@pdf.org, or visiting www.pdf.org/creativity.


About the Parkinson’s Disease Foundation
The Parkinson’s Disease Foundation (PDF) is a leading national presence in Parkinson’s disease research, education and public advocacy. We are working for the nearly one million people in the US who live with Parkinson’s by funding promising scientific research while supporting people living with Parkinson’s through educational programs and services. Since its founding in 1957, PDF has dedicated over $90 million to fund the work of leading scientists throughout the world and over $37 million to support national education and advocacy programs.



2 comments:

  1. Love the flowers Penny. Can't wait for them to show their little heads again this spring. And yes I am ready for spring.

    That Quilt turned out beautiful and I am proud for you that it got displayed that way. But than again all your crafts are unique and beautiful. Can't wait to see more here on your blog.

    Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Erika. :)

    Looking forward to seeing you again soon... and doing some crafting together.

    ReplyDelete