Monday, January 14, 2013

Egg custard & cold weather treats



So, here we are -  living in the country.  It's cold outside.  So, what do you do with your time???

Well, I started out the day baking some egg custard.  Ever you ever had real home baked custard from your own eggs?  To die for! 

Gus and Greta


Here's Gus and Greta.  They're Brahman Cochin chickens.  Gus is a great rooster.  He's very attentive & always shows Greta where the best tidbits are.  I can just walk in the cage & pick him up.  Greta isn't as easy to catch, but both are sweet birds with a nice temperment.

Hexter and Sissy

Now, my girls don't mind sharing their eggs with me.  I make sure I give them treats & I talk to them.  And they have their own nests (although Sissy and Missy argue over who's turn it is to use the one nest & NEVER use the other one). 



Hexter
And Hexter does his job, so if I decide to incubate some eggs I get nice little chicks in 3 weeks time.
Rhode Island Red chicks















But anyway, back to the custard.  I use my old copy of "The New Cook Book" from Better Homes and Gardens.  You remember that cookbook?  The white & red checked one?  It's my go-to cookbook.



Here's the recipe for egg custard (flan).  Page 254.  I skip the step for making caramel.

Individual Flans

Prep time 25 minutes                                                               Bake 30 minutes
Oven 325F                                                                                    Makes 4 servings

3 beaten eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Ground nutmeg to taste

Combine eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla.  Beat until well combined but not foamy. 

Place custard cups in a 2-quart square baking dish.  Divide egg mixture among 4 custard cups.  Sprinkle with nutmeg. 

Place baking dish on oven rack.  Pour boiling water into the baking dish to a depth of 1 inch.  Bake at 325F for 30 - 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center of each flan comes out clean.


At this time of year, I have to worry about my fresh eggs getting frozen.  If I don't have a hen who's being broody... I get frozen eggs.  Not a problem.  I just bring them in the house, clean them off as usual and then boil them.  They boil up just fine.  And who can resist a freshly boiled egg???


No comments:

Post a Comment