Friday, January 11, 2013



Today I'd like to start writing about living in rural America.  I love living in the woods with my family and animals.  It's very private and restful.

My husband and stepson like to putter around outside, working with the one-man saw mill or the lathe.  Or they might be loading ammo while enjoying the wood cook stove.  They might work on splitting wood.  They stay busy.

I spend most of my time in the house.  I like to cook and bake, make cheese or do some canning.  I might do some spinning or knitting.

Sometimes we run to town for our errands, and have some lunch.  But we spend most of our time at home.  And we like that way.

I wouldn't consider us "preppers".  Because we're not considered about the "end of the world".  But the weather here in Arkansas can turn bad - really bad- at any time.

Since we moved here in 2006, there have been floods, tornados, snow storms, ice storms, really strong thunderstorms, drought and very high temperatures.  If making sure your property is safe through all those conditions doen't keep you busy, you're not paying attention to the real world

6 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Blogging World Penny. It can be an interesting world. I am so looking forward to you sharing your life and mostly your crafts, as they are just wonderful. Everybody will be proud to see them.

    Congrats again and as of now I am your first follower and certainly always Friend! Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I happened to notice a mutual friend of ours (Vicky Huskey Mann) had "liked" your post on facebook and thought I'd check out your blog. I subscribed and am looking forward to reading more!
    Also, I wanted to share a couple of resources with you: 1. Arkansas Women Bloggers (can't remember the website, but you can find it easily on google.) It's great! Also, I'm on the board for Arkansas Women in Agriculture, www.arkansaswomeninag.com. Check us out! We are having a conference in March for women involved in ag and thought you might be interested in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Carrie. I "liked" the ARWIA Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Penny. It will be great to learn of the comings and goings around the big rock again. Sending love from central Canada where at January 11th we have no snow and I'm on my deck in a work shirt grilling potatoes and some beef. As soon as the weather turns everything will turn to it's more normal ice and snow.

    Sending our warm thoughts to you and Johnnie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phil!

      So nice to get connected with you again. Grilling outside in Canada in January. That's wild! The weather sure is interesting. We had a few cold days so far. And a snow storm on Christmas day (we were in GA, of course). But we drove home the next day & Joshua did a great job getting us home in 1 piece. It's been cold & rainy since, but no snow.

      Delete