Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Picking out seeds for this year's garden










The seed catalogs have been coming for several weeks now.  Since before Christmas, actually.  And I've been looking and looking.  Dog earing pages and putting a star by the varieties I'm interested in.

Then I pass that catalog on to John and Josh to see what they have in mind.  We're pretty much on the same wavelength.

What are we interested in growing this year?  Heirlooms, definitely.  Organic preferably.  We don't use pesticides or herbicides in our garden because we have bees.  So we want the seed we buy to be as free of chemicals as possible.

I think we'll be buying the bulk of our seed this year from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds in Missouri.  Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds  If you've never seen their catalog, you're missing out.  The photos are beautiful!  If our produce this year is even HALF as nice, we'll be very proud.  Here's a picture from their blog.
Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

 I found some wonder tomatoes, and melons I'm very excited about.  I think I'll try the Orange Strawberry tomato on page 132.

 

 The Golden Midget melon (page 163) looks very yummy.  The catalog says that the rind turns a lovely golden yellow when it's ready to harvest and the flesh is salmon pink.  What a lovely color combination.  The taste is very sweet and it matures in just 70 days.

Golden Midget watermelon
 
The Indian Cream Cobra melon (page 72) also looks delicious. 

Indian creme cobra melon



Candy Roaster squash

I'm also interested in the Candy Roaster squash (write up on page 116, pictured on page 118).  It's a pink, banana-shaped squash.  The tip is blue.  It weighs around 10 pounds.  It's delicious, smooth orange flesh is perfect backed, fried and makes great pies.





Joan rutabaga
Josh is interested in the Joan rutabaga (page 107).  The flesh is dense, crisp and mild.  It has a delicate and very sweet flavor.

red plum radish
 He's also interested in the Purple Plum radish (page 104).  It ripens in only 28 days!


















I'm also interested in the Red Rosella (also page 107).  This is a type of hibiscus used for making cranberry-flavored red beverages, jelly, pie and tea.  A tasty sauce can be made by boiling and sweetening the fleshy calyxes.  The leaves are used to make a drink.  The plant is red and very beautiful.  The citrus-flavored flowers are delicious on frozen desserts.
red rosella hibiscus drink


Perkins long pod okra

Living here in Arkansas, okra is a must in our garden.  This year I think we're going to try the Perkins long pod (page 84).









Strawberry Husk Tomato



John has specifically asked me to get the Strawberry Husk Tomato (page 52).  The catalog states this plant has "huge yields of tart-sweet berries."  This is the type of ground cherry used by the Pilgrims and is excellent for pies, jams and preserves.  The fruit is inside a paper-like husk.







I think I'll try the Cosmic Purple carrot also.  I'm a sucker for those "odd-colored" veggies.  I like my salads and my dinner plate to have a variety of colors.  Who says dinner can't be beautiful.  The Cosmic Purple (page 33) has a bright purple skin and the flesh comes in shades of yellow and orange.  The roots are spicy and sweet-tasting.  It's mature in 70 days.
Cosmic Purple carrot



I always start my seeds indoors.  That way I can start only the number of plants I wish to grow.  No thining.

In fact, I usually get my seeds started at the same time I put some eggs in the incubator.  That way I have my chicks hatching about the same time I'm ready to put my seedlings outside to start "hardening".  I want to baby them a bit, but I also need them to experience changing light, temperature and wind conditions so they are vigorous and strong.

Rhode Island Red chicks 1 day old


Just like people, it is the challenges we face - the difficulty we overcome that gives us strength.





No comments:

Post a Comment