Monday, February 4, 2013

Home....

They say "you can never go home again".  And since I left rural Pennsylvania in 1979, I've found that to be true.  Because the "home" you remember is never the same when you go back.  Even if your family still lives in the same house, it's never the same as what you remember.

Here's what my parent's homestead looked like when I was a kid.

My parent's homestead
Can you see the large apple tree between the vegetable garden and the corn field?  It's to the left of the house in this picture.  I loved that tree!  Do you see the church pew at the end of the garden?  The 2 large lilac bushed that have grown together or the one by the end of the drive?  Do you see the clothes line by the back porch?  The swing set? The second clothes line between the pine tree and the chicken coop? The outhouse?  Do you see the horse shed down by the creek?  The large red barn (2 story with hay loft above). 

In rural PA, they spray tar on the road in front of each house.  That's the dark part on the road there by the house and barn.  After many years, that tar is VERY thick.  And hot in the summer.

I don't know the exact date on this photo, but I know it was taken in the late 60's or early 70's.  Because Dad tore that barn down after he got out of the Navy in 1972.

And they remodeled the house in around 1974, put aluminum siding on making the house white then.  And Mom had an orange Nova and Dad had a pick up truck, so that's not the vehicles in this picture.  What kind of car Mom had before 12 or so, I have NO idea.  It was a big Chevy something....

I loved living in that place when I was a little kid.  I loved the creek and the woods.  The lilacs that had grown together to form a nice fort.  The barn and all the wonderful things in it.  The pond out beside the barn (you can't see it in this picture).  I loved the chickens, but then a weasel killed them all one night and we never got anymore.

When I joined the Navy myself, and then I got married to a Maine man... I knew I'd never get back there to that homestead to live.  In a way that saddened me.  But I also knew I could make my homestead somewhere else. 

Once I settled in Washington State, I hoped he'd be interested in buying an old farm.  NO WAY!  He wasn't "living on Old McDonald's Farm" with me.  OK.  I guess I could live with that.  It's not what I'd have preferred, but it's what I agreed to.

And then, that relationship dissolved after illness and 25 years of marriage.  And so I moved to Georgia.  While my husband John and I were driving from Seattle, WA to Ellijay, GA he asked me if I would mind if we moved to Arkansas.  Mind?  Hell no!  I'm leaving the place I'd lived form 17 years... what's one more move?

Anyway, here's where we lived in Ellijay for that first summer and fall we were together.

Kitchen 
This is the kitchen after I repainted it.  You can see my spinning wheel there on the lower left corner of the picture.  John told me the red & white check reminded him of his grandmother's kitchen.  I liked that.









We asked John's brother Joey to rebuild the addition on the back of the trailer.  Then I painted the floor to look like a rug.  We bought 2 rocking chairs at Ace.  I found that little blue foot stool at an antique store and refurbished it.  I wove that seat on top.  It's actually a shoeshine trolly, it has a cool handle and opens up with storage inside.  It's quite handy.

You can see my little parlor wheel on the table there between the chairs.  And John's treadle sewing machine to the left.


There's also another spinning wheel behind the rocking chairs.

I really enjoyed living in that trailer.  I had a new family to get to know.  A grandchild who globbed on to me.  I'd never had any children of my own, so my Granddaughter is very special to me.  I had found my home.

Ariel

Here she is that first spring.  What a cutie!


Anyway, we decided to make a trip to Arkansas in July or August 2005 to just look around. Joey, Lisa, Jake and Jareb came on the trip with us.  Joe drove his van.  We stayed in Cotter near the beautiful bridge.  That was fun!

We had a lot of laughs that trip.  We also got to do some fishing in the White River.  That was the first time I had been swimming in a river since I'd left PA!  What fun!





Ariel and Penny at the apple house
I set up to do a spinning demonstration at the Panorama Apple House that fall.  It was a great event.  I sold enough yarn and such to pay for the wheel I was spinning on!  That's a nice bonus.

That fall we made another trip to Arkansas, just John and I.  We woke up one morning and said "let's go to AR".  Tammy said she'd feed our cat and so we packed a bag and off we went.  We stayed in Mountain Home that time.  We must have looked at about 20 places.  We looked in Bull Shoals, Jordan, Flippen, Mountain Home, Henderson..  I thought I'd like living in Flippen.  Imagine the sly little smile when you tell someone "I live in Flippen, Arkansas!"

We didn't find what we wanted that time either, so we went back home.  We checked the MLS on the computer.  We talked to agents on the phone. 

We looked at some properties in Ellijay during this same time.  While Arkansas had always been John's dream - moving away from his kids would be hard for him.  So we thought that moving off the same dirt road where they were (and out of his brother Jim's trailer he'd been kind enough to let John live in), was a good idea.  We looked at several placed.  But what we'd pay for a double-wide trailer on 1 1/2 acres of land there, we could buy 100 acres here in Arkansas.  And so Arkansas what our decision.

Between Christmas and New Years in 2005, we decided to make another trip to Arkansas.  We decided to stay in Hardy and look around.  On the last trip we'd seem a property in Violet Hill and another in Evening Shade that looked promising.  And so Hardy is kind of close to either of those.  And Hardy is a cool little town with lots of shops and restaurants. 

Here's the link to Hardy.  Hardy AR


We'd been playing phone tag with a real estate agent in Cherokee Village named Corbin.  We finally connected and made arrangements to look at a 12-sided log house on 42 acres.  We'd tried to find the place by the address... but had no luck.  Corbin was a nice guy, and he took us out there.  Here's what we found.


12-sided log house

This is the first picture I took, as we parked to look around.

John and Corbin went out to the "barn" where the workrooms and stable are.  I went inside.










And this is what I found inside.
I started laughing.  I could imagine all kinds of possibilities.  What a fun house.  A house with a rock in it!

And so, I went out to see what John had found.  And here's what that looked like.

No Littering....

That door is now the door to the right side of our "chicken coop".  This was 2 dog kennels built by the previous owners.  But they make perfect chicken coops for us.

Oh sure, the place needed a lot of work.  We had time.  What else did we have to do but rehabilitate this great place that had been neglected and abused?  Not a damn thing.


And that's how we found "home".

I love living here.  I love looking around and seeing all the work we've done.  I feel such a sense of accomplishment.  I know I've experienced what so many people came to America to experience.  I found a beautiful place and I've made it my own.  I've put my sweat and my energy into it.  And some blood... and more than a few blisters... back pain and knee pain...  And this is what I've received in return.

One morning's harvest



Brandywine tomatoes

Bruce, Dennis and family
The garden

2 comments:

  1. Oh how I enjoyed reading your little story of how you came to Arkansas and how you started out. It seems many of us long for the way we once grew up. It's in the blood. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    Have a wonderful week

    Hugs, Erika

    ReplyDelete