Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Why are computers (and doctors) so damn frustrating!? A brain-diseased person's rant!

 Once upon a time... back when I didn't have a diseased brain... I understood computers.  I was blessed with the ability to see "in my mind" the various screens that would be navigated through to get the desired result.  I could read BACIS, Fortran, C , Novell networking... all in my mind.  I could help get someone who was stuck un-stuck over the phone.

Lord, not any more!  I HATE voicemail!  I hate those damn automated systems with the myriad of options dronning on... for english press 1778475639!  To hell with that!  I want to talk to a person!

What has me upset today?  Getting our damn meds refilled.

I hope you NEVER have the misfortune of having a chronic disease.  I've had Parkinson's now for 16 going on 17 years.  John's had it 20 years.  We're on the same med we've been on since we were diagnosed.  Our neurologist only sees us once a year because she can't do anything for us except try to manage our symptoms.

Well, we were supposed to see her in November.  But she cancelled our appointment.  So.... yesterday I had to get our 3 month refills.  The Pill Box sent a request to the doctor.  This morning, I get a call from their automated system telling I need refills on my medication.  Yep.  I know.  Yep, you guys sent in a request for a new one.  And then I'm given the option #3 to talk to a person.  Sure.  I press 3.  Clink.  Dammit!

So, I call the Pill Box.  They are so nice.  They tried to fill our script, but the Humana system indicates it's already been filled by another vendor...  DAMMIT!

So, the I call the neurologist's office.  Leave a message for the nurse on the voicemail.  "We will call you back within 72 hours.  If this is an emergency, go to the emergency room."  So I leave a voicemail.  "My husband & I need a refill on our sinemet cr. 50/200... can you please tell me who you sent the refill to?  Our pharmacy said our insurance indicates another vendor already received payment for our order."

DAMMIT!

So, I get on my laptop & log onto the insurance website.  Yes, I have an order from the pharmacy in transit.  I have an outstanding balance to be paid.  OK... Great.  I click on the little box & make the payment.

Then, I log into John's account.  Same insurance... same medication.  Where's the damn little box to make the payment?!  NOW WHAT THE HELL?!  No little box.  Crap!  I check the particulars of his account.  Yep, there's the debit card information.  Yep, there's the "auto-pay" box... Why can't I click on the damn thing?!

Finally I get so angry I resort to the "chat with us" box.  Someone named Rachel responds.  After 10 minutes and many more pages & boxes & other foolishness she finally agrees that the payment option is not appearing on John's account.  So, she manually processes the payment.  Great!

So I thank her & get out of that mess.

Then I log onto the bank website.  Yep, there's the payments for my meds & John's meds.  Wonderful.  I had to spend a good 45 minutes trying to figure out why I couldn't get my meds yesterday from the pharmacy I usually deal with all because the doctor's office cancelled our 1 appointment for the year.  

If this is what life in the "new normal" is going to be like.... I want to opt out.  I want to see a person.  I want a piece of paper scribble on that no one can read.  And I want the little pills that keep me from jumping out of my skin in my pretty little hand.  Is that too much to ask for?!


No comments:

Post a Comment