Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Arctic vortex! AHHHHHHH!

It's cold out side, no doubt about it.  And the weatherman is the most popular TV personality right now.  But, guess what people!!  It's WINTER!!!

Makes me think of that line from one of my favorite TV shows - Game of Thrones.

I remember, when I was a kid, the climate scientists were all saying we were headed for another Ice Age.  I also remember snow that was 40 inches deep - out there in rural NE PA.  Yep.  When I fell through the ice crust, I couldn't touch the ground!  And I have a 31 inch inseam!  That's damn deep!  I remember thinking, "I'm moving somewhere that's not so damn cold!"

I lived in Newport, RI from 1979 until 1985.  My husband Curt and I got snowed in at a resort hotel on the coast one January.  I believe there was 36 inches of snow.  We were the only guests... we got to use the hot tub, have room service... watch HBO.  It was great!  I had to call in to my Senior Chief and tell him "I'm trapped in this hotel we were visiting and can't get back!"  He laughed!

When I lived in Japan from 1985 until 1988, we had a snow storm with 26 inches of snow.  I can't remember exactly how cold it got there, but I do remember it was the worst storm in however many years.  It reminded me of some of those old Japanese wood cuts with all the snow...





Once we left Japan, we got stationed at Whidbey Island, WA.  We bought a house in Mount Vernon, which is where I lived for 17 years.  I do remember one particular storm when we got over 15 inches of snow and then it started raining.  I noticed the snow on the roofs was turning blue.  Curt and I got up on the roof and started shoveling.  The neighbors came out and asked what we were doing.  We explained that when the snow turns blue like that, it's very heavy and can destroy buildings.  They kinda  chuckled at us crazy Northerners...(Curt is from Bangor Maine, and he also lived in Fairbanks as a young boy).  Then on the news we saw footage of the Marina sinking from all the snow.  Funny, the neighbors were up on their roofs too!
Barns were falling down.  The wind was awful.

We're not having anything like that right now.  It's cold.  Sure.  But it's not snowing or raining.  We might have some rain/ice later today though.  Oh boy!  I can hardly wait!

Our wood pile isn't as big as I'd like.  Josh has been keeping it well stocked.  But he's also using it.  We have lots of wood down though, so I know we're not going to run out any time soon.  The weather should be warm and in the 50's by this weekend, so I guess we'll be cutting, splitting and stacking wood.

We've got plenty of propane.  We get our propane from Thayer Gas, and use their "pre-buy" program.  We paid for over 300 gallons back in May, so we're not paying for it during the time of year when we have so many other expenses.

We also have a full freezer and lots of home canned and dehydrated food stored.  That's just how we did it back in rural PA.  My husband John laughs about my "chipmunk genes", but we never go hungry!

I finished the crochet afghan for my granddaughter.  I plan on washing/drying it today so I can get it into the mail.  I hope it keeps her nice and warm. Here's how it came out.



No comments:

Post a Comment