Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Early June rains & mushroom picking

Well, June is finally here.  That means it's chanterelle mushroom time.  We are blessed with many patches of these yummy mushrooms.  I looked on line this morning & the going price is $100 a pound!  Wow!

So, Ariel and I get out our boots, long pants, and tons of bug spray.  Now we are ready for mushroom hunting.  And we head out...
Ariel & Cricket head down the driveway.

Peanut comes along too!
We found a good amount for the first day.  We saw many small ones too, so we'll go back for them in a few days. Here's our first day's haul.
Mushroom & a crawfish cast carapace.
Notice the crawfish carapace?  Ariel found this at the edge of the pool where the spring starts.  I was very happy to see this, because I'd never seen any crawfish or minnows in the spring.  Since this one is rather large, that means our little spring is a viable ecosystem.  I feel very good about that.  Since our spring doesn't flow all year long, I assumed the crawfish & minnows were only located further down stream.  I'm glad to see I was wrong.  

We've also been working on the interior of the Hobbit Housse (now christened Underhill). We're using a faux painting technique.  As the cement is rather rough, we wanted a smoother finish.  So, we are applying tissue paper to the walls & ceiling to give it a more finished look.  I like it, it's rather like the look of finished plaster.  Here's a Youtube video on the technique.

Tissue paper wall texture technique.  Here' how the first step is looking.
Sleeping alcove with tissue paper on the walls
 Rather green, I know.  But this is NOT the finished color.  The alcove will be a deeper sage green.  The sitting room will be a rich, golden color.

No comments:

Post a Comment