Monday, February 3, 2014

Property boundaries and more winter weather.

The weather on Saturday, February 1st, was very nice.  Cricket and I went for 2 long walks.  Our first walk took us to the eastern property edge where we've been working on our little spring.

I worked on the last 2 pools for about 2 hours.  I won't know until it rains/thaws if the all the pools are holding water.  But, I've got the little dams all built and have the clay over them.  Now I'll just have to wait and see what's happening with them.

Here's what they're looking like.
Cricket the rock loving dog! 

Some water is holding... now to see how the whole complex holds up.
On our second walk, later in the day, we ventured down into the hollow on the north end of the property.  This area has 4 little springs that turn into one seasonal stream.  It has some really nice features!
Still loving rocks!

The western most spring in the hollow.

Looking down hill.  Not a good place to trip.
Interesting rocks by the 2nd spring in the northern hollow.


The "main" spring, source of the seasonal stream.


When I say, down in the "holler"; I do mean DOWN!  Our house is on the south end of the property, the hollow on the north.  The difference is about 400 feet.  The house is one the highest point on Walker Ridge, every other direction is down.

Sawmill hollow is down hill off the south-eastern boundary of the property (it's owned by River View Farms our hunt club friends), south of us is our friend Jennifer's hunting cabin and her 2 acres (and more River View Farms property), our west boundary is with Mr. Hunter George. Our northern property belongs to Mr. Bill Vance.  The E & L Cypress clock shop is to the east (Cochrane property).  Here's an interesting map I found posted on the wall in the grocery store, next to the freezer section!  Interesting place to find a property map.
Sorry for the poor image quality.
The red line on this map is US 62/63/412. Here's an interactive topographical map of the same area.  Walker Ridge, AR

Our house is located at the small dot near the I in "Ridge".
Our property on Google maps

The 5th spring is on the south side of the property, not far from Jennifer's cabin.  I'm not sure I want to try and enhance this spring much (or at all).  It's down hill from our well and I don't want to effect our water quality.  Our well is over 400 feet deep.  And this little spring and it's associated run off area aren't any where near that level.  So I could probably try to make a few small pools there.  We'll just see how much time and energy I have....

The last spring is on the west side of the property, near some cool large rocks.  There's a deep bowl there already.  I could probably dam it up a bit and have a pool there without any problem.  Some idiot left at 20 gallon propane tank lying right there that I've got to deal with.... Stupid people!

So, after spending so much time out side on Saturday the weather took a turn yesterday.  It was 33F when I got up and it was 24 when I went to bed at 9:30.  We had 5 inches of snow on the ground.  And icecicles on the eves.
Outside the south door.

I see we also had an orb visiting while I was photographing.

The south walkway.

1 comment:

  1. Cricket does look like she is always having a great time on your long walks. So wonderful to have such a companion.

    Enjoyed your report. Very interesting.

    Have a lovely day my friend!

    ReplyDelete