Monday, April 29, 2013

Cheese and other things...

Our friend, Michelle, came and visited for a few days this past week.  That's why I haven't done any blogging...  I was busy with other things.

The chicks are 2 weeks old now.  They're doing very well.  One is a lot smaller than the rest, but I think it will catch up in good time.  I have no idea if it's the one who was hatched last or not.  I could just be smaller.  Not every Rhode Island Red is as big as other's.  That's just the way it is.  But, they're all healthy.  They have their flight feathers on and are starting to get tail feathers.  They look kinda awkward at this stage.

The weather has been stormy.  We got 8.5 inches of rain over the past week.  Which is good, because that means we're out of that awful drought from last year.  It's not good because some of the bigger local rivers are above flood stage.  My friends, Gena and Kevin live right on the Spring River.  So far their safe and sound.

Michelle and I took a long walk down to the NW corner of our property.  There's a 3-season spring there and we decided to see if we could build up some small pools and have some deeper spots.  I'm hoping I can modify it somewhat and put a few small fish in there.  If I can get it to remain wet all year round, maybe I can turn it into a nice natural pool or something.  I'm researching how exactly to do that without hiring a backhoe.  In other words, I want to do it myself.  Naturally.  Without making a huge impact on the natural setting.  I'll have to take the camera down there with me and document my progress.

When we were looking for property we wanted a place that was wooded, away from the main road, without neighbors and with running water.  This lovely place met all but the last criteria.  Now, it seems there IS running water for 3 seasons.  We didn't realize the stream/creek was ON our property until we had the land surveyed.  Now I know for sure that there IS a spring down there (at least when it's the "wet" season).  We know there are fish in the stream further down on the neighbor's property.  So, if it runs enough that fish are on their property, maybe I can make it so there are fish on OUR property.  I'd really like that.

Michelle and I decided to do some cheese making on Friday.  We made mozzarella.  We tried making ricotta too, but the recipe we used for the mozzarella used up all the milk fat, so the ricotta didn't turn out.  Oh well.

Michelle's husband Jerry works for the State Park system at Powhatan State Park.   Check out their web site. Powhatan State Park


No comments:

Post a Comment